What is Permitted Development ?


Many extensions can be built under Permitted Development

You can make certain types of alterations and/or extensions to your property without having to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights” .

Many people are amazed to find out just how much they can actually do. Before October 2008 allowances were based on volume which meant that in many cases if you extended your kitchen you couldn’t extend to the side or have a loft conversion. This has now changed and calculated on dimensions, which means you can now extend backwards, sideways and have that loft extension !


What are the advantage of Permitted Development to Planning Permission ?

Permitted Development is purely judged on the facts

    •  Size





  •  Height


  •  Materials




  •  If it fits the criteria it’s allowed


Permitted Development is not based on the opinion of planning officers or neighbours but is purely judged on the facts .

Are there any Restrictions to Permitted Development ?


Flats and maisonettes do not have any permitted development rights

In certain parts of the country, generally known as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas.

There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building. You should also be aware that your local planning authority may have removed some or all of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. In this case they do not normally charge you an Application Fee.

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas. You will probably know if your property is affected by such a direction, but we can check with the local planning department should you require this information.


Can I really extend my home without Planning Pemission ?

There are many things you are allowed to do without planning permission but you do need to know all the criteria which is too complex to cover here.  . Here are just a few of the most popular projects allowed under Permitted Development ( various criteria applies ).


Extensions –

  •  Rear extensions – Can be up to 4m in depth for a detached house, and the full width of the property

                                                                               3m in depth -for a terraced and semi detached house

  •  Side extensions – can be up to half the width of the existing property and the full depth of the property
  • The eaves height on single storey extensions should not exceed 3m and the ridge height 4m
  •  The extension should not sit forward of the principal elevation
  •  Double storey extensions must be at the rear, 2m from a side boundary and 7m from the rear boundary                               

Loft Conversions


  •  Loft extensions without enlargement of the roof are permtted development
  •  Roof windows projecting less than 10mm do not count as enlargement of the roof
  •  Dormer windows can be aded to the rear and side elevations. (Glazing and height restrictions apply)
  •  Hipped roofs can be altered to gable roofs
  •  Overall increase in volume can be up to 50 cubic metres (40 cub m on terraced houses)



  •  The building is not attached to existing propery
  •  The outbuilding can cover up to 50% of the original garden
  •  The outbuilding can be 3m high with a flat roof or 4m with a pitched roof ( 2.5m if within 2m of the boundary)

If you are thinking about building under Permitted Development we would always recommend that you submit a Lawful Development Certificate



What is a Lawful Development Certificate ?


A Lawful Development Certificate confirms that the building work is allowed under Permitted Development and is, therefore, immune from an enforcement action.It enables you to prove to neighbours the building work is allowed and it will also provide a future purchaser’s solicitor with proof that the extension or loft conversion is legal, which can help avoid delays in the conveyancing.


As with a planning application you will need scaled drawings of the existing building and the proposed work but the fee payable to the council is half that of a planning application.


EP Architecture can handle all aspects of obtaining a Lawful Development Certificate . Council’s are often presented with poor quality drawings and insufficient information and that won’t get you a helpful and constructive response. On the other hand, clear, quality accurate drawings presented with a clear, full checklist showing exactly how and why your proposal is considered to be PD will be much better received by a council officer and less likely to suffer delays in being processed


EP Architecture Ltd – John Allsop,46 Shrubbery Street, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 2QY   – Tel -01562 630767